We are so excited about fall here at Food Design! Each season brings new, exciting ingredients to focus on.
Fall is particularly special; for Chef Michael, the season is filled with nostalgia. Pumpkin patches, apple picking, and changing leaves remind him of his childhood and inspire new dishes like this Pan Roasted Long Island Duck Breast with Pumpkin, Potato & Apple Hash and Maple-Bourbon Jus.
When fall rolls around, Chef Michael likes to experiment with familiar flavors and seasonal ingredients like maple, apples, pumpkin, and bourbon to create sophisticated takes on nostalgic fare, like our new hors d’oeuvre, Spoons of Maple Brined Oxtail with Pumpkin Purée.
He also takes the opportunity to resurrect some classic favorites for the fall, like homemade dulce de leche and pumpkin butter.
Check out Chef Michael’s recipe for Homemade Pumpkin Butter below:
Homemade Pumpkin Butter
- 2 15oz cans of pumpkin purée
- 2/3 cup of coconut sugar
- 1/4 cup of unsweetened apple juice
- 1 TBSP of lemon juice
- 2 1/2 TSP of pumpkin pie spice
- 1/2 tsp of ground cinnamon
- 1 pinch of sea salt
- Add all incredients to a pot over medium-high heat and stir to combine.
- Once it begins bubbling, reduce heat to low.
- Simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove from heat. Taste and adjust seasoning as needed, adding more coconut sugar for sweetness, lemon juice for acidity, or salt to balance the flavors.
- Once cooled, transfer to a glass container and enjoy!